Thursday, March 31, 2011

It's almost Spring Break :D

Hello world!
I haven't written in a while and now since all my midterms are done I have free time to concentrate on other things. Let me fill you in on what I have been doing so far:

  • Bellydance Barbie is teaching the American and the Moroccan students how to bellydance :)
  • Went to Fes for a day
  • I bought my first Amazigh rug (it's huge and heavy!! and now I have to figure out how to get it home...)
  • Ate dinner at a random shop owner's house from the medina and it was wonderful :D
  • And got invited to a Moroccan wedding this Saturday
  • Getting prepared for spring break (I'm red from laying out in the sun for a little over an hour!)
That is what I have been doing so far. Let me start from the top:
Bellydance Barbie Teaches! Yup to both the American and Moroccans. Now don't get the wrong idea about Moroccans; trust me, they know how to dance, they just don't know the nitty-bitty techniques that I focus on so when I'm done with them they are going to be the talk of the town  :D. Well, I teach bellydance once a week and it's just in my apartment so I have to move everything in the living room aside. A couple weeks ago I was able to fit 20 ladies in the apartment. There are no mirrors and I have to stand on top of a table for everyone to see. I am now being called "teacher" from some of the Moroccans. It makes me smile :).

Kids singing the national anthem
Fes is amazing and it's less than 40 minutes away from where I live. This time I didn't go with the big ISA group. Instead I went with 7 other people but we basically separated into 3 different groups and went our own way. It was great wandering through the twists and turns of the medina, buying scarves, and yes, being followed by a couple guys that really wanted to be our guides. Trying to get away from our so called guides we stumbled upon a random alley way and heard little kids singing. We followed and then was pulled into the school. The teacher insisted and encouraged pictures and videos. It was really cute. Fes is a great city but by about 5 I was Fes-ed out and had to go home and relax. 

Rugs, rugs, rugs
My first Amazigh rug :D. I seriously don't know how to get it home. I'm hoping that my boyfriend will take a big suitcase and we can put it in there but I think it will weigh to much so I was thinking maybe a carry on - but that would suck carrying around a rug in the airport or I was thinking that I can just ship it home for a lot a lot of money. Hmm, what to do, what to do. Anyways, for my culture and history class we took a field trip to a town called Khemisette. This is where most of the rugs are traded and sold to merchants to resell the rugs in their stores. The real deals go on at 4 in the morning. We didn't get there until 10-ish so we missed out on the fun chaos of trading but we did buy wonderful beautiful rugs. My professor knew two of the ladies that have their own shop so they treated us to breakfast and tea. After that we did our major shopping. We each got a big rug and some picked out smaller ones. It was a lot of fun. The picture is the mess we made at looking at almost every single rug in their shops. We didn't negotiate on prices because they gave us great prices since we came with our professor but usually it is expected to negotiate. My rug is not in that picture. I will have to take a picture of it later and post it online.

Now onto the next fun amazing thing that I did - I ate dinner at a random shop owner's house from the medina. Let me start with the second to last point - I was invited (along with my roommate) to attend a wedding this Saturday (can't wait!!!) so on Monday we (me, Jennifer, and Khadija) went to the medina to buy the wedding gift. We bought them a teapot and tea glasses but in the process of finding the right teapot we walked into random shops and one shop owner fell in love with us. Khadija was there to translate everything but he basically called himself our Moroccan dad so he invited us over to meet his daughter and his wife. They have an amazing house in the medina (not even a 5 minute walk from their shop). I took pictures of their house so check out my photobucket account. 
Our new Moroccan family
So that is what I have been up to since I last updated.
Morocco is amazing and if you ever get the chance make sure you go!! I love it here :)
Bslama!

Photobucket account: http://s1193.photobucket.com/home/bellydance_barbie/index

1 comment: